Assignment 1. Discussion entry:
- In your opinion, what is the most pressing ethical concern related to using the DSM-5 as a diagnostic tool? Why?
- Considering Ruby Wax in particular, how might have labeling, stigmatization, or comorbidity affected her own struggle with clinical depression? How might these conditions affect others with mental illness?
- Discuss one of the assessments and diagnostic tools that you read about in the text readings. How might you conduct a research study to determine whether or not your assessment is reliable and/or valid? That is, what sorts of designs or methodologies might be appropriate?
- https://www.ted.com/talks/ruby_wax_what_s_so_funny (he video pertaining to the assignment
Assignment 2 : Journal
TOPIC: Biological Influences of Abnormal Behavior (links attached are to the articles to be used to complete journal)
- What is the title of the article? Provide a reference for the article in proper APA format.
- What is the purpose of the article?
- What is the hypothesis of the study? In other words, what claims do the authors make in the article?
- What variables (factors) are being looked at as an influence on abnormal behavior?
- If these variables or the relationship between these variables have been studied before, what does the article indicate about the findings of previous studies? This shows historical significance.
- Describe the type of research design (e.g. descriptive, correlational, experimental) that was used in the study.
- Do you think the research in this article was conducted in an ethical manner? Why or why not? *Review the APA Guidelines for Research (see Standard 8) and Ethical Guidelines from Chapter 15 of your textbook to support your answer.
- What was the outcome(s) of the study, that is, the conclusions that the authors made as a result of the study?
Each question requires an answer in one to three sentences, although you can write more if needed. This should result in a journal entry that is around one page in length. Be sure to cite directly from the article to support your answers.