Back Up Photos from a Phone or Tablet Many individuals take photos using mobile devices such as phones and tablets. Many, however, neglect to realize the importance of backing up these memories. A backup of the photos will be useful if you lose your mobile device, upgrade it to a newer model, or the device becomes damaged. While many mobile devices have built-in capabilities to back up photos to the cloud or to a desktop or laptop, it is important to make sure these features are configured properly. The following steps guide you through the process of backing up photos from a phone or tablet. Backing Up to the Cloud
a. If necessary, install and sign in to an app on a phone or tablet that can back up photos to the cloud. Make sure the service you use gives you enough storage space for the photos you intend to upload.
b. Follow the instructions in the app and configure it to back up the photos at an interval of your choosing. Some options might include:
• Back up all photos at certain intervals (such as one time per day or one time per week)
• Back up photos as you take them
• Back up photos stored in specific folders
c. If you are using a mobile device with a data plan, consider specifying whether you want the backup to occur only when you are connected toWi-Fi. Backing up using your phone or tablet’s data plan may result in additional charges if you inadvertently exceed your quota.
d. Verify all photos have been backed up to the cloud service.
1. How often do you think you should back up your photos? Why?
2. When backing up photos, why might it be better to connect your phone or tablet to the computer using a cable instead of inserting the memory card from the phone or tablet into the computer?
3. Compare and contrast three apps or services that can back up photos from your phone or tablet to the cloud. Which one would you choose, and why?