- Competency 4: Describe effective conflict resolution techniques for culturally diverse group interactions.
The demographics of United States are diverse, with communities and workforces that are multicultural. Diversity includes many different racial and ethnic groups. Communication in a diverse society requires accounting for diversity and multiculturalism. Beliefs, values, and patterns of thinking differ among these diverse groups. Along with diversity and multiculturalism come challenges and complexities for those in public safety, at all levels. Challenges include, but are not limited to legal compliance, management of prejudice, and ethical compliance.
In your main post:
- Describe a potential multicultural leadership challenge in law enforcement, courts, corrections, or private security.
- Determine measures that should be taken to address the challenge.
- Evaluate the impact of those measures on leadership, those involved in implementation under the leadership, and the community.
- Propose best practices for implementation to prevent the challenge in the future.