Counselors have an ethical responsibility to provide professional services that demonstrate respect for the cultural worldviews, values, and traditions of culturally diverse clients. To the extent that counselors are focused on the values of the dominant culture and insensitive to variations among groups and individuals, they are at risk for practicing unethically. However, how do you know that you are on your way to becoming a culturally competent professional? This assignment will help uncover your multicultural background as well as any potential challenges you may face in counseling clients from diverse backgrounds.
In a3 page Microsoft Word document, respond to the following:
- Autobiography: Develop an autobiographical report detailing your multicultural background and the development of your personal values and beliefs.
- Identify and include significant ethical and cultural milestones and use these to differentiate distinct stages of your professional ethical development during your academic, career, and social development.
- Identify and include no less than three values that are a significant part of who you are as a person and as a professional.
- Synthesize how you think these personal values are related to your family or cultural systems.
- Reflection: Reflect and address the following:
- Explain how this ethical autobiography relates to your identity as a professional counselor.
- Given your ethical value system, determine any potential conflicts in values that might emerge between you (as a professional counselor) and your clients. Describe how you will manage these conflicts in counseling.
- Determine what, if any, values might impact your ability to effectively apply professional codes of ethics (e.g., ACA, the NBCC, the American Mental Health Counselors Association [AMHCA], etc.) or relevant laws (identify specific codes/laws). Explain what risk management strategies you will apply to be able to overcome these values conflicts.
- Explain what risk management strategies you will apply to be able to overcome these values conflicts. Be sure to articulate clearly how you know that you are addressing your client’s presenting problems in a clinically effective way.
Integrate and apply the most recent peer-reviewed literature and empirical research in your responses.
Your final product will be in a Microsoft Word document and be approximately 3 pages in length. Utilize three to five sources from professional literature in your research (do not include relevant codes of ethics and laws). Professional literature may include the Argosy University online library resources, relevant textbooks, peer-reviewed journal articles, and websites created by professional organizations, agencies, or institutions (.edu or .gov).