A. Why and how are plays different from movies?
B. Read the assigned literature and respond to the associated questions.
Othello text and modern translation
Othelloby William Shakespeare
STUDY GUIDE QUESTIONS
1. What was Iago’s complaint in Scene I?
2. Who was Brabantio, and why did Iago and Roderigo awaken him in the middle of the night?
3. Why did Iago leave Roderigo at Brabantio’s house?
4. What was Brabantio’s reaction to Othello’s marriage to Desdemona?
5. Why did the Duke send for Othello?
6. Brabantio complains to the Duke about Othello’s marriage to Desdemona. After listening to
both sides of the story, what was the Duke’s reply?
7. What was Roderigo’s complaint, and what was Iago’s reply to it?
1. Why did Iago want Roderigo to anger Cassio?
2. What was the purpose of Iago’s plan?
3. Why did Iago want Cassio to drink more wine?
4. What lie did Iago tell Montano about Cassio?
5. Why did Othello strip Cassio of his rank?
6. Why did Iago want Cassio to ask Desdemona for help in restoring Othello’s faith in Cassio?
1. Why didn’t Iago simply tell Othello right away that Desdemona and Cassio were having an
2. What thing did Emilia find and give to Iago? What did Iago intend to do with it?
3. What was Iago’s reply when Othello demanded proof of his wife’s disloyalty?
4. What did Othello decide and command at the end of Scene III?
5. What was Emilia’s relationship with Iago? Desdemona?
6. Who had the handkerchief at the end of Act III? Why?
1. After Iago lied and told Othello that Cassio confessed going to bed with Desdemona, what
advice did he give the overwhelmed Othello?
2. How did Iago trick Othello into thinking Cassio was gloating and bragging about his affair
3. Why was Bianca angry with Cassio?
4. How did Bianca’s return with the handkerchief help Iago?
5. Why did Othello hit Desdemona?
6. What was Lodovico’s reaction to Othello’s behavior towards Desdemona? How did Iago later
explain Othello’s behavior to Lodovico?
7. Why did Othello ask Emilia about Cassio’s affair with Desdemona, and what was her reply?
8. To whom does Desdemona turn for help after Othello calls her a strumpet?
9. Why did Iago tell Rodriego to kill Cassio? Why did Roderigo consent to think about it?
1. How would Iago gain from Roderigo’s death? Cassio’s?
2. What happened when Cassio and Roderigo fought?
3. What did Iago do after he wounded Cassio?
4. How was Desdemona faithful to Othello to the end?
5. What was Emilia’s reaction when Othello told her that Iago had revealed Desdemona’s affair
with Cassio to him?
6. Who told the truth about Iago?
7. What happened to Othello, Iago and Cassio in the end?
C. Read the assigned literature and respond to the associated questions.
Read Audience Guide and Answer questions.
Questions for Discussion
1. Make arguments for and against women serving in combat roles.
2. What is the significance of the image of the crested lark in the play? When is it mentioned and how does the image change over the course of the play?
3. What is the significance of Women #1 and Women #2 in Maxineâ€™s mind and development? What do they suggest about female roles?
4. Review how and when directors used Technicolor in the movies. Now select a scene from the play and design lights, set and costumes using Technicolor concepts.