To develop reading case study skill
To conceptually clarify the concept of strategically handling the competition
After attempting this assignment students will:
Familiarize with the strategic moves within corporate environment
Understand the role and importance of strategies in coping with the intense competition
Case Study path on downloads section of VULMS:
Based on the above mentioned case study you are required to answer the following questions:
- How important is Netflix to Blockbuster? What role Netflix can play in the strategic planning of Blockbuster? (5 Marks)
BlockBuster Case Analysis |
1. What role has Netflix played in the development of Blockbuster’s strategic planning? How important is Netflix to Blockbuster’s future strategic plans?
Before answering this question ,I would like to highlight that It s clear after reading the case that blockbuster main problem was making strategic plan without considering its scorecard as they never anticipated change or tried to early explore strategic alternatives and they never examined consumer or competitive responses.
In a nutshell they were always reactive and not proactive and they never considered that new entrants always seek market space that leaders ignore.
To answer this question, I will try to answer the three major strategic marketing questions “Where to compete?”, “How to compete?” and “When to compete?” and apply my answers to
Analyze Blockbuster case
Where to Compete:
* Blockbuster’s targeted the whole market of home movie viewers in the US. Afterwards, they started to target international markets. Blockbuster service their customers through rental stores and they kept using the same business model.
However, they failed to understand the change in consumer behavior as people became more busy and don’t have time to visit their stores.
* Netflix targeted same market but with different approach as they offered mailing system of movie rentals that go directly to customers and that was very convenient solution and they started capturing big market share from Blockbuster..
Accordingly, Blockbuster’s started online subscription and home delivery as a reaction to Netflix.
In the future, Blockbuster’s should focus on market evolution and set strategic plans that differentiate the company and fits its strengths to changing customer needs.
- Will new competition for Redbox and digital content providers force Blockbuster to alter its strategy? If yes, what should be the offensive strategies for Blockbuster? Explain in detail. (5 Marks)
24 hours extra / grace period after the due date are usually available to overcome uploading difficulties. This extra time should only be used to meet the emergencies and above mentioned due dates should always be treated as final to avoid any inconvenience.
Make sure to upload the solution file before the due date on VULMS. Any submission made via email after the due date will not be accepted.
Use the font style “Times New Roman” or “Arial” and font size “12”.
It is advised to compose your document in MS-Word format.
You may also compose your assignment in Open Office format. Use black and blue font colors only.
Use APA style for referencing and citation. For guidance search “APA reference style” in Google and read various websites containing information for better understanding or visit http://linguistics.byu.edu/faculty/henrichsenl/apa/APA01.html
RULES FOR MARKING
Please note that your assignment will not be graded or graded as Zero (0), if:
It is submitted after the due date.
The file you uploaded does not open or is corrupt.
It is in any format other than MS-Word or Open Office; e.g. Excel, PowerPoint, PDF etc. It is cheated or copied from other students, internet, books, journals etc.