Obtain Help about Programs and Apps Multiple ways are provided to obtain help while using the programs and apps on a computer or mobile device. The program or app developer usually includes a Help feature in the program and/or online. In addition, third parties often post resources online that can provide further assistance. The following steps describe how to obtain help about various programs and apps using various methods. Help System You typically can access help in a program or app using one of the following methods:
• Tap or click the Help or Information icon in the program or app.The appearance of Help or Information icons may vary, but typically they are identified by a question mark or the letter‘i’ formatted in italic.
• Navigate the program or app’s menu to locate the Help command.
• If you are using a program or app on a Windows laptop or desktop, press the F1 key on the keyboard to display Help content. Online Help Online help usually is available from the program or app developer. The following steps describe how to obtain online help.
a. Navigate to the program or app developer’s website.
b. Locate, and then tap or click a Help or Support link.
c. Select the program or app for which you wish to obtain help to display the help information. Searching for Help In addition to obtaining help from within a program or app or on the developer’s website, you also can search the web for help as described in the following steps.
a. Navigate to a search engine, such as google.com or yahoo.com.
b. Type the program or app name, as well as the type of help for which you are searching, as the search text, and then press the enter key or tap or click the Search (or a similar) button.
c. Scroll through the search results and then tap or click the search result to display more information. Be aware that not all help originates from reputable or accurate sources.
1. Under what circumstances would you use each of these methods to obtain help with a program or app you are using?
2. Compare and contrast the different methods of obtaining help. Which method do you think is the best? Why?
3. What are some reputable websites that can provide you with help for the operating system installed on your computer? Why do you consider them reputable?