PSY 410 Week 1 Discussion Questions
The publication of the DSM-V has raised much discussion throughout the field on the diagnostic criteria for mental disorders and how they are assessed.
- Why do we need to classify mental disorders?
- How can we determine what is normal and what is abnormal?
The history of abnormal psychology shows us the many changes to the way mental health patients have been treated over the centuries.
- What do you see as some of the most important changes or developments in the history of abnormal psychology?
- What are the various viewpoints for understanding the causes of abnormal behavior?
- How are they similar and different?
Is there a viewpoint you agree with most? Explain.
- Assessments are a critical part of determining a diagnosis. Class, why is obtaining a well-rounded and thorough assessment important prior to assigning a diagnosis?
- What could be the consequence if an accurate assessment is not completed?