Students will write an essay, 500-750 words in length, on a topic selected from the list below. The purpose of the project is to give students an opportunity to discuss a key political science concept, and to show a basic understanding of academic research and reporting skills. The project consists of producing a 500-750 word research paperon one of the provided topics (see below), as well as a works cited page for sources containing information used in the essay. The assignment is to be formatted according to the Modern Language Association (MLA) style. Papers not formatted properly will not receive a passing grade. At least three sources are required to be used and cited. You must use 2-4 times per page. The writing and presentation should be very formal, as opposed to the more relaxed style we see in discusssion postings. Use the word I, rarely. Do not use the words ‘we’ or ‘you’ in this writing.
Students should use Courier or New Courier 12 point as the paper’s font, double space the text, and create one inch margins on all four sides of the page. In addition, the assignment should be formatted according to MLA style for papers with no title page.
- In Chapter 2, “The Constitutional Setting,” the authors describe the various state constitutions of Texas, with particular attention to the current state constitution. Complete the following:
- Describe the features of the current Texas constitution.
- Explain the influences that were critical in the structure and powers of the government created in the final document.
- Identify similarities and differences between the Texas Constitution and the U.S. constitution.
- Illustrate your points with specific examples from each of the legislative, executive, and judicial articles.