Use your Mobile Device Ergonomically Individuals are using various mobile devices, such as phones and tablets, more frequently, and using these devices ergonomically can help prevent unnecessary injury. The following guidelines will help you use your mobile device ergonomically:
• Use shortcuts and abbreviations whenever possible to avoid excessive hand movement.
• Make sure your hands, wrists, and arms are at a natural angle, and avoid holding the device in a position that causes discomfort.
• Use hands-free devices and voice recognition features whenever possible to avoid hand movement.
• Do not use the device for extended periods of time without taking frequent breaks.
• Avoid resting the device on your lap during use.
• Sit in an upright position or stand when using the device.
• Consider using a separate keyboard and mouse if you will be interacting with the device extensively.
• Use the device in a setting with natural light.
1. Have you been following the above guidelines while using mobile computers and devices? If not, what have you been doing differently?
2. What types of health risks might nonergonomic use of a mobile device pose?
3. What are some additional guidelines you can follow to help minimize health risks while using your mobile device?