Write a workflow analysis summary of no more than 1,500 words (4 to 5 pages, not including workflow diagrams) in length, following proper APA format. This summary should detail your proposed new healthcare technology system. The summary should describe how your new information technology could address one or more of the workflow problems identified in your organization/department.
Make sure to not only identify what the information technology is, but also how it will improve workflow and clinical or administrative outcomes. In addition, this assignment requires you to include workflow diagrams. Using the flowchart symbols within Microsoft PowerPoint (or other process mapping software), develop 2 flowcharts: one of the current state workflow prior to your new solution and another representing the future state, post implementation. These charts should be embedded into your workflow analysis summary in the appropriate logical position.
Think about issues/problems related to workflow from a clinician or patient perspective, in an applicable department or organization, and most importantly, a potential technology solution to correct this issue. This can be a project you are currently working on, a future project, or if necessary, a virtual project.
Here are some ideas for you to consider:
- Critical Diagnostic Imaging or Lab Results
- Do we have some room to improve the timeliness of delivery to providers? Any third party applications or mobile solutions that could help? What does the current state look like and what would the future state look like post implementation of a new system?
- Clinical Communications
- Do mobile solutions/advanced hardware solutions exist that could eliminate the need for pagers, personal cell phones, or hospital cell phones? What is one area of focus that could be studied here? (For example, communication from nurse to provider.)
- Do we need more advanced or secure messaging? What does the current state look like and what would the future state look like post implementation of a new system?
- EHR Optimization
- Have you been, or are you about to be, involved with a change to your organization’s EHR system? What was the current state workflow and what will the future state look like post optimization?
- Specimen Collection
- Do we still have issues mislabeling specimens? What is happening in this space that could help this dangerous problem? Any mobile solutions out there? What does the current state look like and what would the future state look like post implementation of a new system?
- Patient Engagement
- Readmission rates in hospitals are a continued focus. Patients are sent home without a complete understanding of their medications, treatment plans, or other discharge instructions, including provider follow-ups. Any technology solutions to keep patients engaged in their care post discharge? Could such a system exist in the inpatient environment as well as in the home? What does the current state look like and what would the future state look like post implementation of a new system?
Your workflow analysis summary should include a minimum of two scholarly references that support your technology solution and/or the workflow methodology.