- Students, please view the “Submit a Clickable Rubric Assignment” in the Student Center.
Instructors, training on how to grade is within the Instructor Center.
Click the link above to submit your assignment.
Assignment 4: Mindmapping
Concept / mental mapping is a structured process, focused on a topic or construct of interest, involving input from one (1) or more participants, that produces an interpretable pictorial view (map) of ideas and concepts and how these are interrelated. For an example, this is located on p. 264 in Wlodkowski:
Write a two to three (2-3) page paper in which you:
- Select one (1) of Wlodkowski’s five (5) skills covered in Chapter 3 and research the type and style of mindmap that will best convey your ideas regarding it. You should look for resources online or in print that give examples of the types of mindmaps that are available and explain in a paragraph or two why you like the mind map method and explain what the source says about why it works well in that format. There are several types out there and you can use these resources to compare and contrast a couple and then pick one you think will work for you and explain why you chose that format. Here are two links I found in a Google search to get you started:
However, feel free to do some researching on your own.
- Based on the type of mindmap that you find will work best, develop your own mindmap based on the Wlodkowski skill you chose. You may want to think about a recent class you took or an example from work that you could use as a guide to structure your mindmap idea. You have several options you can take to complete this portion of the assignment:
- You can create a map in PowerPoint and attach as a separate upload to your paper;
- You can draw the mindmap by hand and take a picture with your phone or scan the image and upload as a separate attachment or embed in your paper;
- You can use online resources such as Bubbl to create a mindmap online and then export for attachment to your assignment: https://bubbl.us/; or
- You may also use third party applications to create your mindmap, but be aware that some untrusted programs can contian viruses.
- Review the concepts, items, descriptive words, or telling questions that can be associated with the skill that you used in your mindmap. In other words, explain your mindmap.
- From your own experience, determine the benefits and limitations of this approach. What do you think about this type of activity in the end? Did you find it helpful? Why? Are their certain situations where it would be more beneficial than others?
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Analyze methods for increasing learner or employee effectiveness.
- Develop a lesson that applies specific tools and ensures inclusion of diverse adult learners.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in methods of teaching in adult education.
- Write clearly and concisely about methods of teaching in adult education using proper writing mechanics.