1. Discuss the measures taken by Augustus to restore order and stability to Rome. Was his regime in any way a restoration of the Republic? What were the causes for the Roman Empire’s “fall?” (chapter 6)
2. Discuss the development of Christianity before 815. (Chapters 6, 7, 8)
3. Discuss the rise of Islam, its characteristics and reasons for its amazing success. (Chapter 8)
4. Discuss some of the most important elements in the economic recovery of Europe during 900-1300. Give examples of significant inventions or practices and how they stimulated production. How was town growth affected by agricultural development? (Chapter 9)
5. Discuss the “Traditional Orders of Society” and their impact on Medieval Europe. (Chapter 10)
6. Discuss “Crisis and Recovery in Late Medieval Europe” (chapter 11). What was the long term impact?