week 4 dq
- There are two questions that need to be answered individually. 200 words or two paragraphs each
- Employees like being recognized for the work that they do. Often times, a “thank you” to an employee from a leader will make their day. Class – How does the leadership in your organization recognize employees?
- We sometimes are surprised at what people do — even though the company has a clear code of conduct.
In Academic Capsule 10-2, Donald Palmer reported that misconduct is a normal phenomenon and that wrongdoing is as prevalent as right-doing, and that misconduct is most often done by people who are primarily good, ethical, and socially responsible.
Palmer reports that individuals engage in unethical activities due to a plethora of structure, processes, and mechanisms inherent in the functioning of organizations – and, importantly, all of us are candidates to be unethical under the right circumstances in any organization. Implications of this new research abound for managers.
In light of his findings, Palmer concludes that organizations should implement the following six procedures as soon as possible:
- Punish wrongdoing swiftly and severely when it is detected.
- Be careful to hire employees who possess high ethical standards.
- Develop socialization programs to reinforce desired cultural values.
- Alter chains of command so subordinates report to more than one superior.
- Develop a culture whereby subordinates may challenge their superior’s orders when they seem questionable.
- Develop a better understanding of internal policies, procedures, systems, and mechanisms that could lead to misconduct.
- Class – What do you think of these procedures? How easy would it be for a company to implement any of these?